This past weekend, while on my 16 mile long run, I had a lengthy amount of time to start thinking of the perfect recipe to initiate my food section on Harmonious Eating. Miles later the perfect idea struck! I remembered my great love for those warm & sweet banana nut muffin freshly baked from my local bakery. While they are undeniably delicious, most bakers are more concerned about taste and not the nutritional value of the muffin. I decided to make my own healthier version of the banana nut muffin. It includes an untraditional approach to its normal ingredients, but it’s equally delicious and much more nutrition cautious!
Here are the ingredients needed to make delicious whole wheat honey banana nut muffins.
Serves 12 normal sized banana nut muffins:
- 2 eggs
- 2 Bananas (the more ripe the better)
- 1 1/2 cups of whole wheat flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup melted butter (1 stick)
- 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon (recommended)
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
- 1/3 cup pure maple syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon of baking powder
After you have gathered all the necessary ingredients for the whole wheat honey banana nut muffins you will need to complete these 3 easy steps:
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees & line a muffin pan with either paper or silicone liners.
- Grab a large bowl and whisk the flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and baking powder. After, make a well in the center of the flour and place your eggs, syrup, and butter. Next, mix with a fork and set aside to complete the next step.
- Mash your two bananas together and then add your walnuts (optional). Then you will continue the process by folding this into the muffin batter. When all your ingredients are together you will finally distribute the muffin batter evenly into 12 muffin cups. Baking time is an approximate of 20-25 minutes. The muffins will start to get a golden brown, indicating your banana nut muffins are complete.
When the banana nut muffins are complete, grab a small cup and mix both honey and flax seed. When pouring, make sure to include more honey than flax-seed. Then gently spread your honey mix over the muffins until you reach your desired sweetness. The addition of honey will give this whole wheat banana nut muffin a natural sweet taste, and the flax seed will increase this treats nutritional value.